Psychiatry Question Bank – 9 Multiple Choice Questions on “Psychoanalysis”
1. All the following are defense mechanisms of the ego, except:
C. Reaction formation
Classified under Narassistic, immature, neurotic, mature.
2. Operant condition with paradigm pain stimulus given to a child for behaviour therapy is:
A. Positive reinforcement
B. Negative reinforcement
3. Psychoanalysis was discovered by:
D. Sigmund Freud
Sigmund Freud (1856 – 1939) has done major contribution to psychiatry. He coined the terms free association, psychoanalysis, psychodynamics, oedipus complex electra complex, penis envy, primal scene, ego defense mechanisms, repression, psychological determinism, pleasure principle and reality principle. He is the founder of psychoanalysis.
Some of his significant contributions are interpretation of dreams, theory of infantile sexuality, structural and topographical model of mind, theory of instincts, psychopathology of everyday like and stages of psycho sexual development. Alfred Adler – coined the terms like inferiority complex, will power, and criticality. He is the founder of school of individual psychology. Eugen Bleuler – Coined the term schizophrenia, described cardinal symptoms of schizophrenia.
4. Appropriate management of phobias includes:
A. Systematic desensitization
C. Bio feed base
Behavioral therapy is the treatment of choice
Techniques used are:
Exposure and response prevention
5. Mature defense mechanism is:
Other mature defenses are:
Sublimation, suppression, humor, altruism, ascetism.
6. Mature defense mechanism is seen in:
Other mature defenses:
7. That part of the mind which is working on reality principle is:
C. Super ego
ID, ego and super ego are three structures of mind. Ego is predominantly conscious. It is guided by reality principle.
8. One of the important defense mechanism is:
Repression is a primary defense mechanism Suppression is a mature defense mechanism Alienation and confabulation are not defense mechanisms.
9. Which of the following excludes painful stimuli from awareness?
D. Reaction formation
Repression and denial are the defense mechanisms which exclude painful stimuli from awareness.
1.D 2.C 3.D 4.A 5.B 6.B 7.B 8.C 9.A